14 years ago
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Pain is so annoying
Just to document (and because I am starting to feel a little sorry for myself) here is what I am feeling/thinking right now. First I can't wait until there is no pain. Of course pain is uncomfortable, but it is so selfish, all-consuming and tyrannical. Pretty much, pain--I hate you. After being doubled-over in pain Sunday morning, thinking I had an ovarian cyst burst, but not wanting to miss my flight home, so deciding to take lortab to make it through the flight (where I kept vomiting), then another lortab to make it through the walk to the shuttle, the 40 minute shuttle ride to downtown Seattle, the 4 block walk from the shuttle to the ferry, the 30 minutes waiting for the ferry, the hour ferry ride (where again my nausea exploded) and the ride from the shuttle home. (Thanks again Greg Mapes for the ride because otherwise Kev was going to run home, then drive back and get me). Once home, the fever kicked in, followed by a wonderful spell of chills, and still horrible pain everywhere, but mostly in my abdomen, and now a severe sore throat. Finally at 4 am, I couldn't take it anymore so we went to the ER and they did a gazillion tests (CT scan, 2 pelvic exams, urine sample (which wasn't good enough so they had to take another sample with a catheter), blood tests, an ultrasound, and finally removal of my IUD) they decided it had to be a pelvic infection. These are usually caused by STDs, which they assured me I didn't have. They send me home with prescriptions, a few awesome bracelets (one that says "Fall Risk"), and several puncture holes. That night I still can't swallow, I've lost my appetite even though I hadn't had a real meal since Saturday afternoon and it is now Monday, so I look in my throat and it is all red with white gunk. I start to cry a little, go to my family doc first thing Tuesday morning and I test positive for strep throat on top of my joyous pelvic infection. They give me a few more puncture wounds in my behind and send me on my way. Luckily that isn't the end of the story. Now I'm home, with a light of hope of getting better, when I realize I am hallucinating. The awesome pain meds they gave me is not only making me see things, it is making me feel super nauseated, which I forgot just how horrible nausea is. Now I'm sitting here, vowing not to take percocet again, confused as to if a cowboy really just rode by on a hippo, and surrendering to the idea that if I do have to throw up, I'd rather vomit on my bath robe then have to get up. Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband that has been so helpful and a godsend-of-a-friend, Rebekah, who has made me food even though she has 5 kids and a husband with pneumonia. Here's to looking forward to the millennium!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Katie I feel so bad! I hope you figure it all out and start feeling better! I wish we were neighbors so I could bring you food and take care of your cute baby! Thinking of you!
Oh my Katie!! You poor thing! Strep by itself is pretty bad! Please rest lots and take cafe of yourself. Go Kevin for being such a sweet husband!
Holy cow, Katie! I am SO sorry. That all sounds so awful. You will DEFINITELY be in my prayers.
Katie!! I wish we were closer! We'd come get Cora and bring you Homemade Chicken noodle soup!! Take Care Sweetie. I'll pray for you. Love you lots!
Auntie Renee
:-( No fair. Feel better soon!
Oh Katie I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. It sounds horrible. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Love you.
On the bright side, Cowboy Hippo would be a great name for a retail enterprise...
Hope you're feeling better soon.
I feel so bad for you! I hope you feel better as soon as possible and that the nausea goes away! Just remember to ask for a blessing if you need one.
Omg! my sweet friend i am so so sorry!!! i hope you get feeling better.
ps i have been trying to get a hold of you and i left it in the hands of my mom, which has not worked, obviously....i need you address or phone number! i would ask how you are but i know the answer to that....so so sorry!
oh, friend. :(
but cowboys on hippos! yay!!
hope you feel better sooner than soon.
Katie, I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. Andrew just had strep last week, but I'm pretty sure it was nothing compared to yours (plus, he didn't see any cowboys or hipos :). I hope you are feeling better. I miss you already!
Post a Comment