Saturday, January 19, 2013

Kamakura

We have been seeing as much as we can, even with uncooperative kiddos.  Friday during the day, I took it pretty easy and cleaned our apartment and organized everything.  Then that afternoon I took the shuttle from our apartment to base to meet Kevin and the Peterson's for Eli's 7th birthday.  It was Cora's first time bowling and I think she may have gotten an 18, but she loved every second of it.  She did call the bowling balls basketballs, which a lot of people snickered at.  The base has a lot of local Japanese workers and there was a woman bowling next to us who got a 247 which is amazing on it's own, but considering our crazy kids kept walking in front of her and distracting her that is ridiculous.  Kevin played a round and slipped flat on his face which was pretty awesome.




Then today we went to try out the trains.  The train is a good mile away from our apartment which wouldn't be too bad except it is down 6 flights of steep stairs and the steepest hill you could possibly pave.  So strollers and me alone walking to the train is not going to happen.  We took George in the Ergo and had Cora walk, doable but difficult.  I think it has come to the point of my life where I accept the fact that I will have to leash Cora.  Disturbing and I never thought I would be that parent, but she would end up dying if I didn't!   We bought our Passmo tickets and headed into Yokosuka-Chou.  This place is hip-hopping and there is a fabulous mall right above the train station with an Italian Restaurant that overlooks all of Yokosuka.  Then we met up with the Peterson's and went to Kamakura to check out the Shiite Shrine that is for the Shogun (Emperor type person that ruled Japan until about 700 AD in Kamakura that was the capital).  This place was really cool.  Lots of vendors selling dipped fruit in solidified sugar (grapes, apples, cherries, strawberries, etc.)  The Shrine, which is the largest in Japan, was really incredible.  Detailed, ornate, structures in the middle of a busy metropolis. 

This is for Melissa...Japanese Cinnaballs?

At Yokosuka JR Line Train Station
These are some TINY houses that I guess they just roll up their bed.  It seriously looked like 10'x10'!

Japan's most wanted...Actually not exactly sure what this is, but it looks intense.
This was a guy standing outside of the train station in Kamakura and if you gave him money he would whisper a few words and ring a bell.  I think he kept his eyes closed the whole time and just felt when people put money in. 
   
This is the long walkway to the Shrine.  It is guarded by the two huge lions and is lined with cherry trees that I hear is incredible to see during cherry blossom season.  This walkway is about 4 blocks long.


Before going up to the Shrine you have to wash your hands and face.  There is a certain way to do it so we just watched the people that knew what they were doing and followed.  The water is freezing cold and poor George got a few drops on his face and was not happy about it. 

Here is the entrance to the Shrine.  You can't take pictures inside of it.  I guess the Shiite Religion believes you can encapsulate any soul and preserve it to be worshiped and so this is the Shogun's.  I love the guy right in the middle!

The view from the Shrine looking out towards Kamakura city.



It was a little capitalized.  You threw money in a chest and then said a prayer and clapped 3 times, and there were a million things you could buy to put your prayer on and then you hang it on the Shrine.  You could buy arrows, these plaques, or pieces of paper.  There were thousands of them every where.

Fox with bibs.  I could sew some awesome bibs for these foxes!!

They had this huge wall of Saki barrels.  Random.

Cora passed out in the stroller, but notice her right foot.  I may have thought the break was on as I pushed her for awhile before I realized her foot was dragging.  She is ok, no worries.

On the sides of the Shrine they had the Lake of Death and the Lake of Life.  This is the walkway to the Lake of Life where moments later someone dropped their camera into the lake and a worker came and fished it out.

Cora and Taylor...sitting in a tree...

Aren't they the cutest??
This old man was so sweet and friendly and couldn't believe all the kids we had in tow (Peterson's have 6 alone) and was talking to us and enthralled by Cora.  It was super cute until after we got off the train he followed us and we realized he was a little tipsy and asked Rebekah to go back to his place and make him some pizza...hahaha.  Classic.







Then on the way home we decided to take the bus to try it so I can do it by myself with the kids.  We had been told by several people about how easy it was and it comes every 8 minutes.  So we wait for it and wait for it, and wait and finally one comes and it let's people out and then leaves without opening the door that we are waiting at.  So mad.  Then we wait, and wait and another one comes so we hurry over to the entrance and it let's people off and again doesn't open the door so I knock on it while it is pulling away and about 4 locals shake their heads at us, but we finally realized we were at the drop off and the pick up is around the corner, and they do actually come every 8 minutesAn entire hour wasted.  We had quite the full day and everyone is asleep and has been since 8:30 tonight.  I guess I shouldn't be so discouraged about 9:00 am Church, even though it takes an hour to get there, since we all wake up at 6!  We are having so much fun, and are becoming practically fluent especially at saying "I'm Sorry!"  Tomorrow is George's 1st birthday!!  Can't wait to celebrate!  Can't believe it has been a year.  
    


3 comments:

Tina said...

I can't believe it's been a year either! I love reading about your adventures. So awesome!

Dan and Laura said...

What awesome adventures so far! Thanks for blogging about all this. I love "traveling" through your eyes. :) Happy BD to George!!

Nurse Heidi said...

Aaaah, I love it! Since it's unlikely that I'll ever make it to Japan, I've gotta experience it vicariously :).