Sunday, February 3, 2013

Yokosuka

  So the last few days we have been checking out the downtown of Yokosuka right by where the Navy Base is.  We walk about 5 minutes through some parks to a bus stop (when we are taking it easy!) and take the #20 bus to Keikyu Kurihama train station which costs Y180 and takes about 15 minutes.  Then we take the limited express train 4 stops to the Yokosuka-chou station which costs Y180 too.  Below are a few pictures of our favorite restaurants, parks, etc.

French Bakery with delicious chocolate muffins.
 
 The best Indian restaurant ever!!



A "Love Hotel."  These hotels are everywhere and have two options: rest or stay.  I guess in a society where there are lots of intergenerational living these love hotels allow some privacy.  So you can rent the room for a few hours or overnight.

Just chilling with McDonald.

Cora just put this bucket on her head and said, "Cora Robot Beep Beep!"

Cora at the train station.

This was at Rebekah's house.  Cora gave up her coat, hat, and gloves so instead of searching through the bag I put them on George...a few minutes later he got on this bike!  Hahaha.  I love it.

On a wall in Yokosuka, pretty awesome!

So we had a date night on Friday and downtown Yokosuka is a whole different place at night.  Tons of slot machines, gaming centers, a few porn stores, etc.  This is Kevin enjoying the lights that changed colors on the stairway up to a computer comic store.

For you COLETTE!!!  I was super excited to see this.  In the day time it sells coats and gloves.  

The slots!  Also they have a lot of American kids in advertisements.

A snack bag in the 100 yen store.  DELICIOUS!

Or you could have a little dried squidy.  I would say there was about 15 nasty looking items!

This kid was the best.  He was so out and you can't tell but his eyes were only half closed and his head swayed really bad with the train speeding up and kept knocking heads with the people next to him. And he has had 4 fillings, we could see them all.

Inside the Daiei Mall (biggest mall in Yokosuka).  They sounded pretty good. 

Cora has been really into Mulan lately, I wonder why, and kept saying this was a princess store.

They have the coin machines and for Y100 - Y400 you can get all sorts of things.  This was one of the coolest.  The mall was FILLED with these machines, probably 300 of them.
A few more of them.
They have this arcade thing in the mall.  It even had slot machines for kids. 

Cora gave up on this game shortly after playing so Kevin took over.

Train ride.

Donald Duck!

The Colonel!

and this thing!

Sorry this picture is bad, but they have all these shirts in English that are so funny, this one isn't as good as a few others, as they just don't quite make sense.

Japanese kids are always dressed so cute!!!  I want to make clothes like this one day.

And this.

They had an indoor playhouse in the mall.  It was raining terribly when we went so it got pretty packed.


Cutest shoes.

This thing went up and down and Cora got on and just zoned for about 20 minutes and I saw all the parents pointing at her and laughing. It was hilarious.

Kevin let George walk on the first part of the escalator and he was loving it.

Old Asian man #2 talking to us.  We had Cora and George in the stroller and her legs were kind of hanging off the sides and he comes up to us all concerned and got some rope and tied her legs to the stroller.  He kept making the motions of her legs getting ripped off.  HAHAHA.



We lost Cora's coat in the middle of the road and watched about 7 cars try their hardest to avoid hitting it.  Finally Kevin could run out and get it!  Not one car hit it.


Inside the Home Depot here there are pets for sale...These are a few of the options of pets you can buy.  This one is only Y788,000

Huge turtle Y1,200,000

The evolution fish.  The creepiest thing ever.

These mini turtles were only Y500.  I almost bought one! 

George loving the puppies.

Here is the sign showing where church is.  Sacrament is on the 3rd floor, nursery/RS on the 6th, and primary on the 7th floor.  It is weird waiting for and taking the elevator in between hours.

Entrance into church.

The Goodwill here.  Hard-off is electronics...pretty funny though.

Another McDonalds trip.  They have the mega-mac which is 4 beef patties!

At a park.

Old Asian man #3 trying to help George walk.  He spoke a little English and I got to practice my Japanese with him.

Cora, Lucy, and Jack playing Castle at the park.  We are so glad the Brady's are close!

Elise and Jack!  Aren't they cute!  That island in the background is called Monkey Island!

Lots of starfish on the boardwalk.  I wonder how they get there.

Dominos delivery?

I took this picture and about 30 seconds later Cora ran up and started messing with that guys fishing pole.  Ahh!


This face made from car company symbols was pretty awesome!
So we really do like it here.  We have been pretty busy!  We have found several treasures and delicious restaurants, and have a full list of things to do.  I would say it is not that much different here, well not as different as I thought.  Although, in Eurpoe or Mexico, you understand the letters so even if you don't know what the word means you can still recognize it again.  The characters are too crazy!  I think I have the male and female signs down for the bathrooms.  And even though I feel like I'm getting the hang of the trains, and my way around, I always stand out.  We always look different. We at least look like the other people in Europe or even New York, but here people are always looking at us.  Always.  Haha, good thing I like to be the center of attention!

5 comments:

Little Tucky said...

Haha - the sleeping kid on the train. Classic!

When are you guys going to try some good sushi?

Colette said...

I love my shop! They even spelled it right. I'm glad you guys are liking Japan. It looks like fun!

katie b. p. said...

We will try sushi as soon as you come out and take us there because you know we aren't going by choice.

Dan and Laura said...

Maybe black people in Utah feel like you do in Japan. ;) I love the strange English t-shirts and the old people trying to "help."

spudandrobe said...

Looks like you guys are having quite the adventure!! And those snack bags were nasty! Miss you all.