Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Spotlight

I was asked by KNOW (KPMG Network Of Women) to write up a biography about myself so the firm can get to know us women better (as I am the only female in the IT dept.). Well my sister, Lara, writes spotlights each month for a different woman in her RS so I asked her to write mine. See below.

Katie Spencer

The world has seen all kinds of feminine super-human superstars! To name a few; Super Girl, the cousin of the Man of Steel himself; the feline femme fatale, Cat Woman and the Amazon princess herself, Wonder Woman. But no woman, super-human or not, has anything on me, Katherine Bailey Preston Spencer. Yes, KPMG has its’ very own heroic heroine saving, auditing and feminizing the IT department every day (minus weekends and national holidays).
Now while I may not be the by-product of some freak gamma ray accident or have gained super-human powers from a spider bite, I am definitely no mere twenty-four year old mortal. I specialize in internal and external audit and in sas-70s (SAS). So look out! I am well equipped with evaluating power and I am not afraid to use it!
When not adorned in my cape and cowl, I disguise myself as a mild-mannered IT advisory associate. While incognito (notice my glasses), I am better suited to do my “day” job. I am responsible for understanding the client’s control equipment (environment) and testing audit objectives. To further keep up my alter ego, I also document the testing results. For me there is no job too big or too small!
Contrary to urban legend, I did not come to KPMG on meteor-like rocket ship from a distant disintegrated planet, but began working with the company in San Francisco in 2006 and then transferred to Salt Lake City in January 2007. I hope to become a Senior Associate this year.
Since I started out as a sidekick, I have had many mentors, such as, Michael Carmody (S.F.), Chris Johnson (left the firm in November) and “our friendly neighborhood manager” Ryan Johnson. All have helped to keep my utility belt of knowledge well-equipped and each taught me the secrets of the trade. The lunches weren’t so bad either (even super heroines have to eat)!
Being the only female super hero in IT, I am able to bring diversity to the department. I offer a different perspective and my perfume, eau d’poison ivy, has really gotten us out of some tough PR jams. Let’s face it, there are just some types of kryptonite that need a women’s touch.
Being a talented teamster, I am Network + Certified. I am also continually adding to my arsenal of super powers and am currently studying to take the CISA in June.
I attended BYU and received a bachelor’s degree in Information Systems. I currently maintain my “Fortress of Solitude” in Salt Lake City, UT with my sidekick, Kevin, and our furry super-feline, Oliver.
So when you hear the desperate cry of a frazzled client or see a deficient audit in need of testing, you can rest assured: “There’s no need to fear, Katie Spencer is here!”

6 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

I love it!!! I always knew you had super powers...your crocheting is evidence of that ; )!

Sabrina said...

Katie, that is great!! Your sister is such a creative writer. Sounds to me like you have some pretty sweet skills there...do you offer training on learning those sweet superhuman skills?

Natalie said...

That was awesome. I've already bragged to the IT guy at my work that I have a friend who could IT better than him.

Hksedwick said...

You are no mere 24 yr old. You forgot to mention your super human sleeping powers. We have 9 AM church now and everytime I take a sunday nap I think of awesome nap times in the dorms. I miss your 99%.

Renee said...

Kate! I always suspected you had super human powers! Why even as a baby you had us all wrapped around your little finger! You are the BEST!!! Love you lots. Auntie Renee

P.S. Lara did a fabulous job!

Chelsey said...

Ummm...I thought I just posted a comment, but it doesn't seem to show up. Sorry if I end up posting it twice.

Anyway, Kate Spencer, You're My HERO!!! (Ferris Buhler, get it?) I love you and miss you! Can you and Kevin come to our place for some dinner anytime in the next few Saturday's? I'm cookin'! Let me know. We'll be out of town this Saturday, but after that we'll be in town.