Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thoughts on the election

As a disclosure, these are my views (Kevin Spencer) not my wife (who I miss greatly). Since I have no wife tonight, and It is really late I thought I would write about the election results.
First of all I was surprised by the margin that Obama won by. But really I am not that surprised because if you are a republican your choice was marginal at best. I am still skeptical about Obama because of his lack of experience, and his liberal views. I think that less government is better. I am also skeptical of our current health care system and economic stability. With those two previous statements, I am willing to give Obama a try at improving things. I am going to expect nothing so that if things work out I will be happy and mistaken. I think this is better than expecting a lot and getting let down.
Second, if you heard McCain give his parting address, it was good. He actually made sense, and that snide smirky attitude was gone. He seemed normal. Where was this side of him before he lost. Humility does great things. On this same note, I didn't like all the negative campaigning from either side. When I was doing my final research on each candidate, McCain listed his policies with Obamas next to his. This was fine except for the fact that he skewed Obama to look worse than he really is by not including everything. Obamas was not like this, which I enjoyed. Overall Obama seemed less negative.
One thing that I can agree with Obama is that it is time for some resolve with the wars. While I think that national security is important, I think there is something to be said for solving things with words.
In short I wish that Romney was our republican candidate, not because he is Mormon, but his is the man best suited for the current economic crises. I also voted for Obama because I disliked McCain that much. I also wanted to see if a Democrat could win in Utah, Fat Chance. Also Katie would have voted for Obama, so rather then cancel out her vote with my vote for McCain, I essentially voted for Katie.
As long as Obama can be more then just a bunch of words, and he keeps his moral character above the political cesspool of the political world, I think he is OK in my book. At least for now. Good night.

5 comments:

Quentin said...

I agree McCain's speech was the first time I saw the real McCain in a long time. That's the guy I was rooting for to get the nomination 8 years ago. I think he was poorly advised by his campaign staff. As for me, I decided to vote for Obama when I first heard him in a radio interview 4 years ago before he was even elected to the senate. This is my 4th presidential election (yes, I'm that old now) and it's the first time I felt like I was really voting for someone rather than against someone. One thing that has always set Obama apart for me is his willingness to listen to those who disagree with him, as he mentioned in his speech last night, and to speak respectfully about them. With the majorities in Congress, he doesn't really have to care what Republicans think, but I believe he will make a sincere effort to reach out. George Bush talked about bipartisanship in his campaign 8 years ago, but his record has been exactly the opposite.

Nurse Heidi said...

Well said, Kevin. That pretty much sums up my feelings nicely.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Quentin. That pretty much sums up my feelings nicely.

I decided tentatively to vote for Obama one of the first times I heard him speak, before he was running for president. This man is a uniter (I hope) and a true leader with inspiring vision. I think his attitude is more one of getting the ship pointed in the right direction rather than one of just making sure the boat doesn't sink. I think Obama's a "big idea" guy and that appeals to me. It will be interesting to see if that proves to be his downfall as well since he doesn't come across to me as much as a detail guy (yes I know he was a law professor, but he's still not a detail guy). He'll need to surround himself with detail people and rely on them in order to get his big ideas to bear fruit. I think that's going to be a tall order and if he doesn't make the dreams happen, he will become known as a windbag who is incapable of making good on promises. The next few years will be interesting. I'm hopeful.

I wrote a whole paragraph about politics without taking a pot shot at Governer Palin. Someone should give me a gold star.

-Alan

Sabrina said...

All I can say is, I'm so glad it's over! I got so stinkin tired of hearing about nothing but the election for the past year on the radio, internet, and TV. The same old conversations and attacks at each other over and over and over. I was also surprised at the wide margin that Obama won with...although not too surprised that he won.

I think McCain really screwed up with his choice of running mate. I don't know if he was hoping the demographic of a female running mate would give him what he needed, but I am surprised that he didn't get a closer look at her before selecting her. I think that had he chosen Romney, with all of the economic turmoil we have been facing, he would have been a much better running mate and McCain would have had a better chance at winning.

At any rate, I do hope that Obama does a good job. If he can find a way to fix the health care system without bankrupting the country, I'll be glad to see it done successfully. That's a job I would never want! (Rebekah wants to be the first female president, though.)

R. rice said...

Ryan Rice: I am also glad this is over, but worried about the future of our country. Along with all of your thought's I also hope Obama does well. I just hope that he surrounds himself with wise individuals and that he himself is wise enough to listen to them. I still feel that he is way too liberal, and his open support on all forms of abortion and same sex marriage leads me to believe that he does not have a strong moral direction. As to his social aspect of his leadership, well all of that is debatable because that is just political and that only, but the moral issues I have a very difficult time with. Like Al stated, I don't think he is "detailed" I feel that his promise was simply the phrase CHANGE. But to be fair to him, I do hope he changes things in terms of economic stability and so forth, and with his fantastic ability to deliver a speech and make a crowd listen, he may be able to make some good changes. With the war, I think the job some how needs to be completed, otherwise all of the good, and yes there is a lot of good that has come out of this, or else that situation would turn into a major nightmare. I do think that others should start picking up the tab and lending more of a helping hand. I am not saying this sarcasticlly, but here's to hoping that he does not flat line us anymore with his social agenda, I truly hope he can pull some of these things off because there are a lot of individuals who have nothing in life. I'm kind of hoping his extreme liberal thinking gets toned down a little once he starts hearing all of the top secret information. I am also of the opinion and will go as far as to say that to all us working Joes, we will start to see his tax cuts hit us. I know that should the Bush tax cuts be taken out that the company I work for will cut loads of spots that they once had an incentive to higher out, this is just common sense. Nobody has ever gotten a job from a poor person. But, I am willing to give this man a chance, he may end up being our times Jimmy Carter again, all peace and love with no action to protect and back that. Or he may wind up being a modern JFK and unite the country and make the masses feel like there is a cause and direction in this country. Good luck to him, this will be hard, but with all of my total dislike of the Obama the Senator, I really do hope he becomes a great president, he has the ability. We will see.