Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Layoffs

Oh man, I have been freaking out. Yesterday I get a bunch of calls/e-mails from co-workers (not SLC ones) about layoffs and asking me if I was okay...so my first reaction was relief because I had gone through another round and still had my job. Then someone sent me a link to a newspaper article about KPMG announcing major layoffs, so I read it and the corresponding comments and was starting to get scared. Some of the comments were from people back East saying it was a "blood-bath", and so many people were cut. Then I get an e-mail from the HR Partner (who for one I have never met, and two, the last time he was here he laid off my manager) that he is flying in tomorrow (he sent the e-mail yesterday) and he wants to sit with me individually to talk about changes in our practice. I FREAKED OUT!! I tried to call Mom and Dad but they were unavailable so I called Chase and Lara and their support really helped me. I mean I just bought a car, our house payment, kevin still in school, we want to try and start having kids, etc., etc. I could hardly breathe. So last night was awful and then this morning I find out that the Partner is meeting with all 3 of us and I am last. Ky goes in first and comes out saying he got laid off. I'm dying sitting there while Jonathan takes his turn next. When he comes out he says he didn't get laid off. I asked if he knew about me and he said he didn't. So I go in....and....he tells me I am safe. I just about died, I almost cried I was so happy, yet sad for Ky. Then he goes on to say that he knows we were already strapped and stressed with just the three of us and it is just going to get worse now with two. We won't be able to get any outside help, but the projects have to be done on-time, so...pretty much we are going to be working over-time (without getting paid extra). Well I am thrilled, frustrated, excited, pained, overwhelmed, overjoyed, numb, everything all at once. These times........oh geez.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, that is CRAZY!!! I am so relieved that it turned out with a happy ending for you, even though it means working longer with the same pay. Geez!! This economy is unbelievable. It sure makes you grateful for what you have. Anyway good luck and congratulations on not getting laid off!

Liv said...

I'm so glad you still have your job! Kev's been out of work since Christmas and it's so freakin hard. I hope you can keep up with everything!

Sabrina said...

WOW, that is scary. I don't think I would have slept at all. Suddenly, when everyone else is getting laid off, no amount of work is too much as long as there is a paycheck at the end of the day. I'm glad you still have a job! You must be do great work there to have survived all of the cuts!

Renee said...

Holy Cow Katie. How scary! I am so glad it turned out ok for you, but how nerve shattering to have to wait so long to find out. If you ever need any other support~Call Me!! Love you lots. Renee

Alan said...

Katie!

Glad you're safe, I guess. My experience, having been layed off from my first job and having been at companies which have had significant restructurings, is that people that are let go (especially at the lower to mid-level ranks) generally have some short term pain, but in the end they wind up in a better spot.

My most recent job change was partly because of a layoff at my previous employer (70% headcount reduction). They kept me, but I decided not to keep them. Increased stress and workload, survivor guilt, lost faith in the company and in the management all contributed to my decision to leave for greener pastures. Being retained after your co-workers have been let go is in some ways more difficult than being let go yourself.

Try to figure out a way to deal with the stress of working in your current situation, so you can maintain your happy. I believe it can help a lot if you calmly think about what would be the "worst case". You'd collect unemployment for a while. Maybe you'd have to ask parents or in-laws for financial help. Maybe you'd take a job waiting tables until you found something better. Maybe Kevin would have to take a few semesters off of school to make ends meet for a while. Maybe you'd have to sell the new car and drive an older used one for a while. You can always score free dinner from us! Bottom line is, when you think about the concrete reality rather than just hyperventilate about the unknown / unplanned for, you realize that things wouldn't be a total disaster, and that you would survive.

When you start thinking about the reality then you can crank the stress down to a more reasonable level and make rational decisions. Should you try to put aside a little more cash for an unexpected emergency? Should you float your resume and see if there's a lower stress or higher reward option out there? You can think about rational steps and make plans when you're not hyperventilating over the unknown.

After you're done grieving (give yourself time), make your fears concrete, face them, and move on. There's your million bucks worth of free advice for the day!

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I know how painful and disorienting it can be. Eat some good chocolate. It helps.

Laura said...

You're awesome! They couldn't let you go! *sigh*

lauren said...

i'm so glad you didn't lose your job! i just breathed a sigh of relief when i got to the end of your post. these are scary times.

Christina said...

That is a crazy story. I am you still have you job. I hope the work load works out okay.

R. rice said...

So glad you are okay. I think about this topic a lot. Good luck and keep in touch. Ryan Rice