Wednesday, March 4, 2009

New (to us) Car

This is quite the story, so buckle up. Katie and I have been considering selling her 97 Audi A4 for a few months now due to the high mileage (134,000) and the expensive repair costs, which were getting extravagant. Lately, the car was making noises so we brought it into the shop that Katie has always gone to and trusts completely (Family Auto, you Bountifulians should consider this place, amazing!). The bearings were shot in one wheel ($500), the water pump was making noise and leaking ($700), the timing belt was old and needed a new one ($100), etc., etc. The car is maybe worth $3,000 (more like $2k if you ask katie) so this got us thinking that maybe we should look for a new used car within the week and not fix the car, but trade it in...

After much consideration, we decided that we wanted a car that was newer with lower miles on it for about $10-12k. We also wanted 4 door with front or all wheel drive. We decided to hit Larry H. Miller Honda on 46th south and state before we called it a night. We let the dealer know our terms and we headed out. The first car he showed us was a 05 Mercedes Benz in excellent condition, never in an accident, with only one previous owner and with 55,000 miles. We were in shock. There is no way this was in our price range. We looked at a few other cars, but we by far loved the MB most.

Back inside the dealer drew up an estimate price which was way higher then we were expecting and we had to go back and forth for hours. The price seemed reasonable and was outside the cost we were hoping to pay, but inside our budget. We talked them down a few thousands, had them raise the trade in value for the car, and add a 4 year/100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (which for a foreign car we thought was essential). So we got the car for about $16k and are glad we got a smoking deal!

So here is the car (05 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Sport):


16 comments:

Chelsey said...

Awesome car! If we come by, can you take us for a ride? We'd have to put Truman's car seat in the back, is that ok? Just kidding. That is so great for you guys.

Hksedwick said...

SWEET!! so who gets to drive it? That's was a great deal.

Hksedwick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Preston said...

I'm sad that you sold the audi! We cna't be audi buddies anymore. Mine has about 143,000 and has been running great. But I love your new car. You deserve it!

Quentin said...

I hope that someday I will think of 143000 miles as "high mileage". I still think of 100000 as brand new, since I've never owned a car with less than that.

Eliza said...

Fun new car! I remember Katie driving a green jetta in high school (right?) and being secretly jealous because I was driving a 1982 red pickup truck, haha.

Enjoy your new ride.

Kristy Carpenter said...

Nice wheels!!

Nurse Heidi said...

Oh you guys are too funny. Enjoy the car! Wanna give Alan a ride back from Moab in your sweet new wheels so that I can go to Colorado?

Laura said...

H-O-T HOT! You guys should drive that bad boy up here to B-town soon! :)

Alan said...

nice ride. Some day I'll own a fancy car. Or maybe not. I still need a fancy guitar first.

And a goat.

hillary and britton said...

Nice!!!

Renee said...

Cool News Guys!! Looks like a great car. You know how our side of the family loves Mercedes!! Katie gets it from Grandpa Joe! He loved his silver Mercedes. It was such a fun car to ride in. Love you Both. Renee

misterlink said...

Looks pretty sweeeeet...

Christina said...

That is an absolutely beautiful car! Congrats.

R. rice said...

That's a sweet ride. I really like the color. Pictures can't tell everything but from what I see it looks really clean. Enjoy, i bet it's fun. We just got a new mini van and I love it, but I can't say to people that it is a fun car. PS. Keep an eye on that emblem, those things seem to get stolen a lot. Ryan R.

Anonymous said...

I actually drive by your house a bit too and from lunch and I was wondering when you got the new car haha looks good guys!