Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Garage Sale Gold Mine and other happenings

So to start, I must give my mom credit for always making me polish the silver and for giving me pieces to my sterling flatware set for several Christmas', even when I thought it was lame! I was just driving around one day and saw a garage sale sign so I stopped by and it was this older lady who was selling mostly just junk and on the side was a box of silver plated flatware! She said she would sell me the whole set plus 17 other silver plated pieces for $25. DEAL! So I bought it and then sold half of it (all except the intricate serving pieces, the big spoons, and the knives) to a lady who makes jewelry/vases/etc. from them for $42! And I still have many pieces I can sell on ebay or they kind of match my Aunt's set. The pattern is Adam and made by Community Plate in 1947.
The whole set laid out.

Close up.

So this next set (up-close above of the Damask Rose by Heirloom Sterling) I found at another garage sale where it was an older couple that was moving and just trying to downsize. So this STERLING set was almost complete for 8 place settings, but was missing one fork and one spoon, but it had 2 serving spoons. I bought this set for $15!! If you just passed out...I KNOW! I sold the set to an antique retailer for $500!! I probably could have got more from ebay (like $650-700), but it was easy to just sell it for cash! Anyway, I think I'm awesome!

Here is the sterling set.

My parents came into town! It was awesome!! I didn't realize how much I missed them until they came, played and left! I'm feeling all-out-of-sorts again, but I get to see them in July when I go home so not too far away. This picture is of my dad in front of the Sub! Well the sub top that is a monument. Nice goatee dad!

We wanted a picture of Cora on the pig and here was the simplest way to accomplish that!!

Me and parentals in front of Pike's Market. It was a busslin!

In fact it was Gay Pride day and that made it extra busy!! Thanks to the space needle for the support!

Cora trying to eat Gpa's watch...little does she know just how much it cost!

Gma using Cora's sock to make "THE TONGUE MONSTER" where she would grab Cora's tongue and she would just laugh and laugh! Unfortunately, mom would then try and grab mine and get slobber all over my cheek. This was how we entertained ourselves on the drive to Portland. Notice the new carseat! Convertible, compact, chic-y green! I love it! I now have leg room.

Connie giving Cora a bath!

All of us just sitting, talking, reading about Jake and Vienna's break-up!

On the waterfront in Portland.

Kevin hugging an old lady statue (Vera, I think)!

Kevin brought his other child (we need to think of a name) his radio control car -- well truck. He was sick of carrying it so he put it on the stroller. Ingenious!

We stopped by the rose gardens! So gorgeous. As soon as you got out of the car the delightful smell greeted you!

We didn't realize this until the day was almost over, and Cora had spit up everywhere, but Cora and Connie MATCHED! Darling!

Pittock Mansion! I loved LOVED LLOOOVVEEDD this place! It was way awesome. It was built in like 1920 and it had an elevator, showers with multiple shower heads, baby tub, gorgeous furniture, etc.

Here is a picture of the shower...so smart!

Anyway we had a blast! I miss my parents already! But I can't wait to go to Portland again next week to play with Drew, Melissa and Brooklyn!

8 comments:

Laura said...

What an awesome garage sale shopper you are! Well done! Great pictures of your parents visiting too! You're lookin great, btw!

Jessica said...

So fun! I love visiting with family. And in Portland especially (that's where I grew up!).

Unknown said...

Great update. Looks like you guys had so much fun. This post made me miss you guys a ton. Really you should stop taking advantage of the old timers though! Kevin needs to bring that truck to Utah this month! Love Cora Belle and her smile.

Alan said...

The silver is super awesome! Nice work, although the rose design is beautiful enough you'd almost want to keep it.

Plus nice Trock.

Christina said...

Holy cow Katie you are awsome. What amazing finds and sales at garage sales! Looks like a great visit from your parents too.

anna jo said...

Oh my gosh, Katie, you ARE awesome!! Miss you guys.

Chelsey said...

Fabulous post. I'm so glad your parents could come visit and even more excited that you are coming in a few weeks! Good job on all your good searching and selling. I am totally lost in the silver department, so I am glad your mom had you polishing silver so you could help us all out!

Eric and Hayley said...

That is amazing about the garage sale deals. Mostly b/c you can recognize silver plated silverware. I would have no clue that any of that stuff was worth anything. I always try to get Eric to go garage sale hopping with me but he isn't too into it. I guess I need to find friends around here to come with.
Oh yes, and I loved your house! It is HUGE and has so much character.