Tuesday, June 1, 2010

life settled

Things are not quite like I imagined. When I agreed to this upheaval of my life, as in moving, I sat down with myself and had a little chat. I figured there would be two ways to deal...one would be to act like this is the worst thing EVER and drag my feet the whole time OR I could do everything I could to find the positive and if I did so the situation would become positive. I forced myself to choose option #2 (or at least I tried to for the most part!) and I woke up this morning feeling like after all my efforts there is not much positivity to hold on to. Which is disappointing within itself, but especially after I feel like I made a huge effort to find turn the situation otherwise. I know this is just a bump in the road, but since I'm sitting here, with roosters calling me forward, my parents still out-of-town for the last 2 weeks, I might as well rant on here.

First, I cannot explain the annoyance and disturbance of the roosters that our unfriendly neighbor, commonly referred to as the unabomber, has injected in to our lives. They wake me up at 6:00 every morning, they wake Cora up, and she is sleeping much less. Even her naps are about half as long once they start gawking. And they GAWK ALL DAY LONG...going off about every 7 seconds! I would just complain about this guy, but I think I saw the movie "The Burbs" too many times and am afraid that he will cook me up in his hidden furnace and bury my bones in the backyard. He really is that scary. Second, unfortunately our ward is less than stellar. I was thinking that I might be able to find a friend or two that I could really buddy up with in the ward; however, the options are slim. Thirdly, I thought that my crafts would be an outlet for me. Give me something to do that I could enjoy and share, but after two craft booths I have come to the conclusion that Washington just isn't ready for my creative genius yet. At least I can sell a few things to Ish, and that is pretty cool.

It isn't all bad...I mean Mario Galaxy 2 came out and I have fun playing that, there are lots of things to do out here on weekends and I just need to live for the weekends when Kevin and I can do some adventures, and of course, Cora is the best. She is nicer when she is able to wake up on her own and get in good naps, but she is never that bad. Currently she is staring at her hand and laughing. Kevin likes his job so far! If he was the one posting, the topics would be much more upbeat. And the sun came out yesterday. I just need to survive one year, not even quite a full year, until April 15, 2011 and then we can move to Silverdale or Poulsbo or somewhere a little nicer. We didn't originally because Kevin didn't want to commute, but I think the commute is point -- to get away from the downtown squalor. Anyway, send me hugs and hopefully tomorrow life won't just be settled :)

12 comments:

Laura said...

That DOES suck about the roosters! Seriously?!?! I would suggest ear plugs for you and a sound machine for Cora. Or a sound machine for you. I don't know how loud they are, but maybe some white noise could help. They will come to love your craft genius soon. Keep trying! Also, keep blogging, find some good books, go for walks (even in light rain). Nothing wrong with LIVING for the weekends too! You can do this! Love you!

Ryan said...

About the roosters. If a face-to-face is too scary or unproductive, check with the city about what animals are allowed.. Many will allow hens (who are generally quieter) but not roosters. Our city has that ordinance. We also share our surplus eggs with all the over-the-fence neighbors, which helps too.

Mary said...

dang, kates. i'm sorry this is kind of a bust. you were sounding SUPER positive when we spoke before your move. i hope it gets better - if all else fails, you could sublet?

you're in prayers, lady. i love you. :)

Hksedwick said...

KT I am sorry to hear things are lame there. I'll be thinking of you. I'll give you a call soon and we can chat. Maybe you'll meet some cool chica soon and be just there person she was hoping would move to town. I think you are great.

Mary said...

I would suggest checking into the city ordinances and white noise machine too.

We have been thinking about you. We talked about you on Sunday in YW, and I'll bring you up again tonight so that the girls can send you some positive vibes/prayers/rooster-karma.

We moved every 2 years when I was a child, and I never realized how hard it must have been for my mom especially. New wards, new everything. Hang in there, I always remember my mom having a friend!

Eliza said...

We made a big upheaval from Utah to Georgia and I'll be honest that first year was tough... lots of tears were shed on my part and I felt like I didn't fit in or have any friends.

Now that we've finished up our second year in Georgia there is a part of me that cannot imagine ever leaving this place, what a crazy turn of events. I hope the same happens for you. Hang in there and know I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

anna jo said...

The burbs. One of my all-time favorite movies ever. LOL

And I know they're not ready for your creative genius yet. It's too genius. But don't let that stop you from creating. It will still be a good outlet for you.

And I know this might sound trite, but give it more time. You'll find friends. Maybe something will happen to those roosters. Keep trying to be positive. It's all going to work out. Let's see, can I give you anymore cliches? ;)

We'll keep sending our good vibes.

Brooke said...

Katie, I'm so sorry things are kind of sucky right now. Did you ever see that Seinfeld episode where Jerry pours water on the "Miss America wanna be's" doves and they all die? Maybe that would work on roosters? Just a thought...We miss you, Kev and Cora terribly!

Alan said...

We love you Katie! But of course you know that. Your original strategy is usually a good one to pursue. Control what you can control (i.e. your attitude and actions). Spin what you can't (other people's actions and attidudes). I am hopeful that after several more weeks of settling in you will come to a new equilibrium, and once that is established you can make positive changes from that place. It's almost too hard to make changes when there's no solid footing established first; you don't know what to change or how to measure the impact because there's no reference.

I believe you will be able to find things to enjoy about your current place. Certainly you will create good stories to tell.

As for neighborhood creatures, I am familiar with several common household materials which, when combined in the proper manner, may be helpful in providing a somewhat permanent solution to your local slumber-inhibiting auditory expostulators. That said, if we're going for just a noise-suppressing tactical strike while maintaining optimal creature survivability, we may have to get more creative. But we can find something. I wonder if there's a way to give a rooser laryngitis repeatedly? And what would a laryngitic rooster call sound like? This could be entertaining.

Anyway, I'd put my anti-social unabomber skills up against Rooster Boy's any day. Bring it on. We can take him. Just keep a healthy distance from the wood chipper.

You have my official permission to research the best local artisanal chocolate that Washington has to offer and to purchase one bar. I'll even give you a pass if it contains some amount of coffee beans.

Nurse Heidi said...

I see that Alan was hard at work today ;).

You and Nan need to hook up. I know she's on the other side of the Seattle area from you, but I have a feeling you'd get along just fine!

Change is hard :P. I'm still adjusting to my wee little job change. Ask Alan how much of a barrel of sunshine I've been about that particular issue. Hang in there - things will get better!

Brittany said...

Awe Kate. I like you a lot. I hope today was a brighter day. Moving is rough. And if it makes you feel any better about the rooster thing...I walked in on a lizard kickin' back in my kitchen today...which also happens to be my bedroom. So yeah - not okay. Kate are you on Itsy.com? You totally should be. I'm happy Cora is wonderful!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear it Katie. Give me a call any time! Super Mario Galaxy 2 should do wonders for your spirits!